BECOME AN EXPORTER
There are certain guidelines and registration processes one needs to adhere to when interested in becoming a registered fresh fruit exporter in South Africa. The guidelines of the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF) export manual and South African export registration process overview of FPEF in this chapter can help you get started.
For more information about the export manual contact Singita Maswanganye, Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries , Directorate: International Trade, 012 319 8005, SingitaM@daff.gov.za
SA Export registration process:
- Register as an exporter with SARS (Customs & Excise code) at your nearest (regional) office. SARS DA185 form is applicable and can be obtained from their website http://www.sars.gov.za/ if you follow their ‘All Forms’ link or click here .There are several categories which to choose from. Make sure that you indicate which markets you want to export to. Please also visit the following link http://www.sars.gov.za/ClientSegments/Customs-Excise/Processing/Pre-assessment/Registration/Pages/Local-exporter.aspx for a host of information relevant to exporters.
- Register the orchard with DAFF, Directorate FSQA (Food Safety and Quality Assurance) in order to export to “general” markets. You can contact this department on 012 319 6004.
- Register with DAFF, Directorate Plant Health in case you want to export to “special” markets. You can contact this department on 012 319 6529.
- DAFF’s Directory Inspection services will do a phytosanitary check of the farm after the DAFF registration.
- Register with APAC (Agricultural Produce Agents Council). Their registration form can be downloaded from www.apacweb.org.za Contact: Lizel Pretorius at 011 894 3680 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Register as an exporter with PPECB (Perishable Products Export Control Board). Complete and return their registration form. Please note that registration with the PPECB requires a deposit. Please visit their website at www.ppecb.com for further details.